Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Not your ordinary caramels

I've been a big fan of Jean-Paul Hevin chocolates for almost 4 years.
Because they do not have a retail outlet in the U.S., (and because they are a touch pricey), I haven't had a chance to try EVERYTHING they have to offer.... if I did, I'm sure my dentist will kill me.......

When I did go to one of the JPH boutiques in Tokyo, I felt like Charlie going to Willy Wonka's factory! I believe their first Tokyo store was in Isetan Department Store in Shinjuku. Japanese department stores are known for the basement levels to be treasure troves of food shopping. It's like hitting Dean & Deluca, Citarella, Zabar's, and various renowned artisan food vendors in one fell swoop! I could live there.......

Getting back to the JPH boutique, it was simply amazing.
The store was a separate enclosed area within this gourmet food shoppers paradise, regulated for temperature and humidity to keep the chocolates in optimum condition. They also controlled how many people were in the store at one time. Extreme? Possibly, but done in such a gracious way that I didn't take it as being snobbish. All I know is that I spent waaaaaay too much in that one store on that long ago trip.

A recent care package from Japan came with a chic parcel with a familiar logo.
Jean-Paul Hevin!!!!!!

Wait, caramels? hmmmmmmmm..... so my friend obviously noting my new found fascination with caramel (with my blog title), sent me an assortment of caramels to try!

vanille!

Well, all I can say is tres bon! I've never had caramels that had such intense flavor and richness. Although caramel is mostly composed of sugar, these caramels do not have a cloying sweetness to it. Leave it to the French to take candy to another level! And leave it to JPH to make me fall in love with even more of their products...... Santa, if you are listening, can you open a JPH boutique in Los Angeles please?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyce-san - have a lovely christmas and new year, hopefully see you again sometime soon! I'll make sure to get some CBS caramels from Henri Le Roux next time I'm in Paris :) keikoxx

Joyce said...

Keiko san! How are you?
I must've missed your comment.
Hope all is well in the UK!
I'm hoping to go across the Pond this year! xoxo!!!! -Joyce