Monday, April 11, 2011

A month of cooking

For about 2 weeks from the day the earthquake/tsunami hit Japan, I had been anxiously watching the Japanese news via television and internet. There was 24/7 coverage and live feeds from NHK and TBS.
In a bizarre and absurd way to cope, I started to cook. It was to pass the time and feel useful and to appreciate what we have.

My chocolate sauce endeavors started just before all the chaos, but it continued with me throughout the month, if only to drop it off to taste tester friends and have chance to chat.




another batch infused with red wine

a test batch of wine infused truffles

vegetarian sushi

Pasta with Rapini and Guanciale

I also indulged in frequent cups of tea - as my friend's mum used to say, "Put the kettle on and we'll have a nice cuppa and a chat."




And so a month has passed, and Japan is only beginning to cope. The country still shakes with aftershocks, but life must resume and we must not be swayed by gloom and doom sensationalist news.

No comments: