Friday, May 13, 2011

The Chocolate Test

Years ago, when I was soooo in "love" with my French boyfriend, I became quite enamored with many things French along with him. Macarons de Paris from Dalloyau, crisp Sancerre wine from the Loire Valley, goose rillettes, tea from Mariage Freres and last but not least, really GOOD chocolate. 

So now with the macaron craze here in the States (and still earlier in Japan), macarons de Paris is no longer a novelty. Over the years, I discovered that I no longer enjoy Dalloyau as much.(My current favorite macaron is from Pierre Herme -the rose flavored one is incredible!

I still enjoy Mariage Freres (Earl Grey Silver tips being my Earl Grey of choice), but with tea, I have always been fickle. I explore teas from various purveyors and find that the more I try, the more chances to discover wonderful surprises.

I always wondered whether my opinion of chocolate bars from Bonnat would stand the test of time. I decided I should give it a go with some taste-testing! 

So internet shopping I did go! (I heard that Bonnat had a falling out with their U.S. distributor so it's now more of a challenge to find)



Bonnat is just as I remembered it!  Dark and pure with complex flavors!


This time around, I did compare with other high quality chocolates such as Valhorna. Even then, Bonnat came out the winner. 

All I can say that this wasn't a nostalgic sense of good, but the real thing!
Bonnat is still my favorite pure chocolate goodness! And for that, vive la France!


No comments: