Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hog Heaven

pork belly stewed in sweet soy sauce



OK, so it seems like everytime there is a recession, we have some sort of comfort food. The last time, I remember everyone doing meatloaf and great mashed potatoes. This time around, I see pork belly becoming the new "it" thing. So around town, I can get overcharged for a dish involving unsmoked bacon..... hmmmmmm...... I'd think I'd rather make my own.

Quite frankly, most of the restaurant versions are a bit too greasy for my taste.I found it much more palatable if you can render some of the fat out by pan frying the pork belly first, then simmering the meat in a sweetened soy sauce stock. Then I chill the cooked pork belly overnight in the fridge so that I can further get rid of all of the lard that solidifies on top! (Some people my consider that blasphemy! All that lovely fat!)

Do I stil feel guilty about eating this? Well, yes. After all, this is pretty much bacon. I try and limit my intake to something equivalent to 3 slices of bacon. Oh well, I'll just have to up my intake of veggies in the next few days too!

No comments: